Immigration Services – Worker Registration Scheme

This section explains what the Worker Registration Scheme (WRS) is and who needs to apply.

If you are a national of the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia and want to work for one month or more for a United Kingdom employer you must register under the WRS.

For full details on the requirements to register under the WRS and for information on how to register you should read the Worker Registration Scheme section.

Once you have been working legally in the United Kingdom for 12 months without a break you will have full rights of free movement and will no longer need to register on the WRS.

You can then get a registration certificate confirming your right to live and work in the United Kingdom, although you are not obliged to do so. Details on how to apply for registration certificate are on the applying page.

Bulgaria and Romania joined the EU on 1 January 2007.However, their nationals have restricted rights to work. More information about this is available from our offices.