Immigration UK – Spouse, Same Sex Spouse and Civil Partners

Free Initial Assessment – Call Today

At Harris & Green Solicitors, we recognise the importance of a family. Our UK Immigration Solicitors ensure you and your family stand the best chance of securing settled status in the UK.

In order for this visa application to be successful, the foreign national (the applicant) will need to meet a number of requirements, where their British spouse (the sponsor) will be very much involved with the process.  Due to very specific requirements of documentations it is important that you submit a comprehensive application with all the necessary mandatory documents. Failure to submit the mandatory documents will result in a refusal and the possibility of not being able to rely on the documents at an appeal, therefore, resulting in a fresh application which would mean having to pay the visa fee again.

We offer a comprehensive service whereby we can complete the online application for you as well as pay for the visa on line and book your appointment online for you taking the stress, anxiety out for your spouse when submitting the application.

You will need to meet the following requirements:

Financial Requirement

The sponsor will need to meet a certain financial threshold in order to bring their spouse/civil partner to the UK. There are a number of ways to reach this requirement:


  • Under the current rules, sponsors will now need to be earning at least £18,600 for at least 6 continuous months prior to the visa application. They should also be with the same employer for the full duration of the 6 months; or
  • Sponsors who have worked for less than 6 months with the current employer will need to demonstrate earnings of at least £18,600 for the last 12 months; or
  • Sponsors can have held savings of at least £62,500 (assuming they are not in active employment), which they will need to have held for at least 6 continuous months prior to the visa application; or
  • Sponsors can have a combination of earnings and savings to make up the financial requirement.

Self Employment

For those who are self-employed, the process is also slightly different and will require the following documents: public

  • Twelve months accounts
  • Twelve months Tax return for the same period
  • Evidence of NI Payments

For a comprehensive assessment of the documents you require please contact us on 0113 270 7002 or email us for a call back on