Immigration UK – Tier 2 general

The Tier 2 (General) category is for foreign nationals who have been offered a skilled job to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker.

To make a tier 2 general application a licensed sponsor is required, who will assign you with a certificate of sponsorship before you can apply to come to the UK to work.

When assigning your certificate, your sponsor will indicate whether they are assigning it because:

  • the job has an annual salary of £150,000 or more; or
  • the job is on the shortage occupation list; or
  • your sponsor has completed a resident labour market test (or an exemption applies); or
  • if you are already here under Tier 2 (General) and you are applying to extend your stay, you will be working for the same sponsor in the same job.

You should ask your sponsor to tell you the basis on which they assigned the certificate.

If your sponsor hasn’t got a license, an application for a sponsor license has to be made.

You need sufficient points to apply for leave to enter as a prospective Tier 2 General Applicant. To see whether you meet the requirements please use the points calculator.