Immigration UK – Fiancés

Entry clearance is given for six months, during which time you will not be allowed to work.    You must show the following:

  • you must plan to marry or register a civil partnership within six months of arrival in the UK (though in exceptional circumstances an extension of this time is possible)
  • there must be a place for you to stay before your marriage / civil partnership (this can be with your prospective partner, or elsewhere)
  • there must be sufficient funds for you to maintain yourself without working and without access to welfare provisions

Once you are married you can apply for leave to remain on that basis. This will be for an initial period of two years, after which you can apply for settlement.

There are no restrictions on working after you have been given the two year marriage visa.