Immigration Services – EU and EEA Nationals

Different rules apply to many Europeans: those from countries in the European Union and certain other countries with special treaty arrangements with the European Union.

As an European Economic Area national you have a right of residence in the United Kingdom if you can show that you are working in the United Kingdom or you have enough money to support yourself throughout your stay without public funds.

If you come from one of the following countries you are an EEA/EU national:

Austria | Belgium | Bulgaria | Cyprus | Czech Republic | Denmark | Estonia | Finland | France | Germany | Greece | Hungary |  Iceland | Irish Republic |  Italy |  Latvia |  Liechtenstein | Lithuania | Malta Luxembourg | Netherlands | Norway | Poland | Portugal | Romania | Slovakia |  Slovenia | Spain | Sweden

EEA nationals do not require a work permit if they want to work in the United Kingdom. Family members will be able to join them in the United Kingdom. This includes spouse, civil partner, children or grandchildren under 21 or, if they are over 21, dependent on you. It also includes dependent relatives such as your parents, parents-in-law or people in a durable relationship. Other relatives can also sometimes come to the United Kingdom. For your family to join you, they should usually obtain a so-called family permit at the nearest British Embassy or High Commission. More information about this is available from UK Visas.

There are special provisions for eight of the member states which joined on 1 May 2005 (Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia).

More information about this is available from Harris & Green Solicitors.