Immigration Services – Dependents

You can apply for permission to settle permanently here (known as ‘indefinite leave to enter or remain’) if you are:

  • aged 18 or over; and
  • a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a British citizen or person settled in the UK.

Can you apply?

You can apply to join a settled person in the UK if:

  • You need long-term personal care to perform everyday tasks, such as washing and cooking.
  • The care you need is not available in the country where you are living, either because it is not available and there is no person in the country where you are living who can reasonably provide it, or it is not affordable.
  • Your sponsor can show that he or she is able to provide adequate maintenance, accommodation and care for you without having to rely on public funds. Your sponsor will need to sign a sponsorship undertaking form to confirm that they will be responsible for your care without relying on public funds for a period of at least 5 years.

Applying for a visa

You can only apply if you are outside the UK. You must obtain a visa as an adult dependent relative before you travel here.